My 20 for 2020 List and One Word Theme
Now that life is finally settling down post-holiday season, I’ve been taking some time to really focus on what I want out of this new year. In 2019, I embarked on a year-long Happiness Project, which focused on different tenets of happiness each month. However, for 2020, I wanted to do something a little different. After much deliberation, I came up with a one word theme for the year – a word that could guide my decisions and help me recalibrate when I’ve gone off course.
This year’s word is quality, and it works for me on a few levels. Those who know me know just how much I tend to overbook myself, fill every empty space on my calendar, and extend my to-do lists across several columns. I like to keep myself busy, often to my own detriment. All too often, I’ve found myself racing between events and engagements, constantly anxious that I may be running late and ultimately feeling exhausted at the end of each day.
Some health setbacks over the past few months have required me to take a step back, and in doing so, I’ve realized just how much I need to focus on quality over quantity. Work smarter. Schedule my days without jamming in more than I can handle. Give myself a little extra time to get to where I need to be, so that traffic and parking don’t completely derail me. Find systems that allow me to declutter my mind and home.
In keeping with my quality theme, I’ve also created some goals for 2020, inspired by Gretchen Rubin’s 20 for 2020. Some of these are more concrete than others, but I’m excited to tackle a few new things this year that will allow me to be a more intentional, more organized version of myself. (Even though some of these are Very Serious Things, a few of these items are truly just for fun!)
Check out my 20 for 2020 below, and be sure to let me know what you’re working on (and what your ONE WORD THEME is!) for this year. For my super fun birthday bucket list, click here!
20 for 2020 List
- Create my “Facts of Life” book.
I’m not sure exactly what this will look like yet, but this document will detail out my medical information, finances, subscription services, and other information in case anything were to happen to me.
- Walk 20 minutes per day.
- Complete my autoimmune diagnostic testing.
- Learn how to use my Crockpot.
Be sure to send any healthy crockpot recipes my way!
- Organize my travel photos in a meaningful way.
- Say NO.
- Do something fun for my 30th birthday.
Suggestions are welcome!
- Write something not related to my blog or work.
- Observe Happier Labor Day.
- Visit my local library.
- Organize my apartment and purge the things I no longer need.
- Put together my Medical Power of Attorney.
- Look for ways to incorporate mindfulness into my daily life.
- Master a few healthy crowd-pleaser dishes.
I absolutely love hosting people at my apartment, but I’m anxious about my limited cooking abilities. I learned how to cook from the Whole30, and mostly cooked those meals for one. I’d love to have a few easy go-to’s that guests will love but that are also conducive to food sensitivities.
- Cultivate a morning routine that sticks.
- Bring my glass bottle with me to reduce my use of single-use plastics.
- Create a master document of places to eat, attractions to visit, etc. in various neighborhoods to solve the age old question of “Where should we go for dinner?”
- Invest in a few quality pieces of athleisure.
I always feel so thrown together when I go to the gym, and I’d love a few cute pieces to make the trip just a little more fun. 🙂
- Practice my Spanish every day.
- Prioritize sleep.
What are your goals for 2020? Do you have a one word theme? Sound off in the comments below!
2 Replies to “My 20 for 2020 List and One Word Theme”
Love this Val!
Put a couple chicken breast in the crockpot with a jar of salsa! Let it cook on low for 4-6 hours. Simple and delicious!
Yum! That sounds simple and perfect. I will definitely do that!