When I think about hash browns, the first thing that comes to mind is the side dish at one of those diners where you always end up ordering way too much food and waddling back to your car. The second thing that comes to mind is a delicious potato fried on a high heat with more butter than Paula Deen could handle. I love hash browns, but I hardly think of them as a healthy meal.
After a recent hash brown craving, I wound up creating this masterpiece. White potatoes are considered Whole30-compliant — Hallelujah! — so why not add to the party by mixing other veggies to make a fabulous breakfast bowl?
I use my Paderno 3-blade spiralizer to quickly shred my potatoes for this dish. If you’re considering a paleo lifestyle or embarking on a Whole30, I highly recommend you invest in a spiralizer like this — it’s a great way to integrate more veggies into your diet and enjoy a new texture. (As someone who misses pasta terribly, I love the noodle consistency that the spiralizer gives many of my compliant foods.)
Add in a couple of eggs prepared to your liking, and you’ve got a full meal! This recipe feeds one hungry person (myself) but could also serve as more of a side dish for two, especially if you’re cooking up a big breakfast. Adjust the quantities accordingly.
Healthy Veggie-Loaded Hash Browns
- 1 whole white potato peeled
- 1 cup broccoli slaw mixed package of shredded broccoli, carrots and cabbage
- 1/2 bell pepper diced (whichever color strikes your fancy!)
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- Salt to taste
- Optional: Garlic to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add broccoli slaw and diced bell pepper to the pan.
- Spiralize your potato with the thinner blade. Chop up the spiralized pieces afterward so you don't end up with 12-foot potato noodles!
- Add the spiraled potatoes, paprika, salt and garlic powder (optional) to the pan.
- Cook on medium for about 20 minutes or until it reaches desired crispiness, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and serve. Bon appétit!
I hope you enjoy today’s hash brown recipe! Test it out and let me know what you think. Don’t forget to share and subscribe to my blog for more recipes, Whole30 resources and other goodies! 🙂