Happy New Year! 🙂 I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and is gearing up for an even better 2018. A lot of people are skeptical when it comes to New Year’s resolutions, but sometimes a new year can be the perfect starting point to begin incorporating new practices into our lives. Last year, I read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, in which the author underwent a full year of adopting positive new habits based on happiness research. I loved the book and its practicality so much that I quickly became a fan of Gretchen’s podcast!
Inspired by both the book and the podcast, I decided to take 2018 to create my own happiness project, based on applicable lessons from the book. For the next six months, I will focus on ingraining new healthy practices into my life (and re-ingraining some old ones that have fallen to the wayside!), and will share my results and lessons learned on the blog each month.
Feel free to adopt these practices into your own life from month to month, or create your very own happiness project using the resources from Gretchen’s site. Don’t forget to share your own findings in the comments section!
- January 2018: Boost Energy.
- Practice better sleep hygiene and go to bed earlier.
- Exercise more often.
- Go for 15-minute walks before work each morning.
- Take time to reorganize.
- February 2018: Focus on Nutrition.
- Undergo a Whole30.
- Make time for meal prep every Sunday.
- Try one new recipe each week.
- March 2018: Lighten Up & Appreciate the Present.
- Attempt a “Pollyanna Week” of minimal to no complaining.
- Keep a one-sentence journal.
- Practice gratitude each day.
- April 2018: Reevaluate Finances.
- Look over my monthly budget and find areas to cut back.
- Organize coupons and gift cards for more efficient use.
- May 2018: Make Time for Friends.
- Prioritize social time with friends.
- Don’t gossip.
- Show up.
- June 2018: Pursue a Passion.
- Dedicate more time to writing and blogging.
- Submit an original piece to a new publication.
- Work on learning a new technology.
What are your resolutions for 2018? Share in the comments section below!